24" iMac - noisy fan • Mac Support Guy

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm

24" iMac - noisy fan

• Advertisement

• Author

24" iMac - noisy fan

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Early 2009-model iMac 24" - previously fan was silent, replaced screen/HDD under Applecare and suddenly the fan is making a very obvious whirring noise which gets extremely high pitched at high fan speeds. Sent to AASP twice (two different stores), they say they can't hear it and will therefore do nothing- what can I do? This noise is driving me crazy, as I work in a silent room. SMC reset does nothing.

Advertisement

Re:24" iMac - noisy fan

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

I assume you were there when they tried it? Are the ambient temperatures in your home similar to the stores? All I can suggest is when at home and the fans start making a noise take some temperature readings, fan speeds, etc., then take the computer to the store and give them the information you gathered so they can replicate the same conditions. Perhaps its temperature related and that's why they don't hear it. Just a thought.

Re:24" iMac - noisy fan

PostWed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

For the first one, they took it into their tech workshop and tried it - second one was in another country! Ambient temperatures are around the same too.

Fans make a noise from boot is the problem (even before the Apple logo appears) - temperature readings are normal, fan speed too (~ 38C/800rpm ODD). When I use SMCFanControl to increase fan speed, the noise increases proportionally - that's how I figured it was the fan (previously, I had no idea what was making the noise). Great idea though.

I only have access to one AASP in my city, and have to travel for 2-3 hours to get to my nearest Apple Store (and I don't drive...). I'm sure if I were there and *made* them hear it (ambient noise tends to eradicate any noise made by my iMac) I'd get my iMac back to its perfect state. Gah.

• Advertisement

Return to iMac