booting from external hard drive

booting from external hard drive

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 am

I have an iomega 300 gb external hard drive that i used to use to boot mac os x snow leopard on my old Macbook Pro, because the internal hard drive got so damaged that there was no other way to boot other than with an external. However, it stopped working. I now have a silver Macbook and I use the hard drive to hold videos and stuff, but I never took off any of the information used to boot before. i wanted to try it on this computer to see if it would work, because this Macbook runs on regular Leopard and I wanted to use Snow Leopard, but when i started up the computer with the hard drive connected, pressed and holded the option key, the only drive that came up was my regular one. My external wasn't even recognized. Is there a way to fix this?

Re:booting from external hard drive

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi s, What app did you use to create the backup?  It may be that because the OS was installed on/specific the old MBP, that the MB can't use it to boot.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:29 pm

To add to that, does the reason matter to you? The MB, by not seeing a bootable volume on the external when you try to option-boot, is telling you it cannot boot from the external.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Someone at the Genius Bar originally loaded Snow Leopard onto the hard drive for me, I didn't do it myself. It isn't working with either computer, which is why I think that I might've accidentally done something to the hard drive, like moved a file or something, that made it unable to boot. I was just wondering if maybe there was a way to restore it or a trick to try to see if I could get it to work again, with either computer.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

If it would not boot either machine, there's something wrong with the install. It's impossible to know what. Why not get Snow Leopard for $29 or less and install it on your MB?